French Riviera style is chic and timeless and Sindy loves a touch of vintage style. The stripes on her dress evoke the classic Breton stripe and her simple basket bag is both practical and stylish for days out. The vintage inspired crocheted wrap cardigan is made from cotton, perfect for keeping warm when the air cools in the evening. Her dress is a simple and elegant, perfect for days by the beach and smart enough to head out for evening cocktails or a glass of champagne on the rooftop terrace.
Sindy’s dress is made from a fabric called double gauze. It’s a light soft fabric made from two layers of gauze tacked together with tiny stitches. It’s a good weight for dolls clothes but does fray easily. I’m always picking up remnants from my local fabric shop (The Eternal Maker) and I was drawn to the blue stripes on this fabric, so bought it without knowing what it would become. It’s always satisfying when I’m able to find the perfect use for some fabric!
I made a pattern for the bodice, modifying a Barbie pattern from ‘Sewing Clothes for Barbie, by Annabel Benilan‘ (a really useful book for doll clothes patterns and techniques). The pattern I modified is called ‘at the theatre’, a dress with a simple bodice and gathered skirt. I used ribbon for the straps – as it’s easier than trying to sew tiny fabric straps. I always save the ribbons used to keep clothes on the hangers when they are in the shops as they are perfect for doll sewing. The tiny heart shaped buttons are by ‘Trimits’. I’ve got several packets in a couple of colours and they are perfect for doll projects.
The beaded necklace is made from small beads threaded onto elastic. Her hairband is a simple ribbon to match the dress straps. I made the basket bag by making a bag shape from two semi-circles of felt. I then used craft string sewn onto the felt to cover it and make the handles. The blue flower is embroidered and the pom pom trim adds a cute finishing touch to the bag. Sindy chose her white court shoes to go with the outfit!
The Wrap Cardigan
This was a little bit of experimental crocheting! I’ve crocheted a few dolls clothes before and decided it couldn’t be too hard. I used a treble crochet and measured the wrap against the doll as I went. The collar didn’t work too well but overall I was happy with the result. The larger heart button is from the same packet as the smaller buttons.
I’m ready for my holidays (as soon as Lockdown ends…)!